Attorney Misconduct Online Complaint
|Instructions||Your Information||Attorney's Information||Court Information||Attachments||Translation Information||Review|
To file an attorney misconduct complaint, please fill out the online form. Please read the instructions below and then click Next at the bottom of this page to begin the complaint.
For questions call 800-843-9053.
If you are unable to fill out the form online, you may print and mail the completed Complaint Form to the State Bar’s Intake Department.
- Please provide your name, address, zip code, email address (if available), and telephone numbers (work, home and cell). Complaints are confidential unless charges are filed. So that we may promptly communicate with you, please provide an email address to which you have exclusive access and is not shared with others.
- You may use the State Bar’s online Attorney Search to see whether an attorney has a public record of prior discipline in California and whether the attorney is licensed to practice law in California.
- Provide the full name, address and phone number of the attorney you are complaining about.
- If you wish to complain about more than one attorney, complete a separate statement of complaint for each attorney.
- If any of the blank spaces do not apply to your case, write N/A (Not Applicable). If you do not know the size of the attorney’s law firm, please state “Unknown” for Size of Law Firm.
- In the Statement of Complaint section, tell us in your own words what the attorney did or failed to do that you believe may warrant disciplinary action. We need to know the background of your case.
- If your complaint is about the attorney you hired, tell us: When did you hire the attorney? What agreement did you make with the attorney? Was the agreement verbal or in writing?
- If the complaint is about an attorney who has not represented you, please tell us: What is the connection you have with this attorney? If the attorney is representing a person or entity in a dispute with you, please identify that person or entity and explain the nature of the dispute.
- If your complaint involves a court case, please provide information (if known) in this section.
- As part of the online complaint form, you will be limited to 10 attachments, with a maximum of 4 MB each.
- Provide any helpful documents. Send only copies and keep the originals. All documents you send, originals or copies, become the property of the State Bar and are subject to future destruction.
- If you are complaining about an attorney who represented you, provide copies of written fee agreements, payments or other communications (written or electronic) to the attorney. It may be helpful to provide copies of the front and back sides of all canceled checks and/or copies of receipts showing your payments to the attorney.
- If you are complaining about some other attorney, provide any court documents or communications with the attorney which will help to explain your complaint.
- If you are represented by counsel in the matter involving the attorney, please provide your attorney’s name, address and telephone number.
- If you have already submitted a complaint and would like to add additional supporting documents, please click here.
The State Bar accepts complaints in over 200 languages. If you need translation services to communicate with the State Bar, please let us know by completing the Translation Information section. We will communicate with you through a translation service in the language of your choice. If you have a trusted friend or family member whom you would prefer to provide translation assistance and that person will accept communications from the State Bar in English, please provide their contact information in the Translation Information section.
After You Submit
The State Bar will review and evaluate your complaint to determine whether investigation and prosecution is appropriate. You will be notified of our decision in writing. This chart explains what happens after you file a complaint. Thank you for your cooperation.